Customized watch faces are a preferred method for customers to customise their smartwatches. Watch Face Studio (WFS) is a common GUI instrument that permits you to design watch faces for Put on OS units. It helps numerous Samsung Galaxy Watch options, corresponding to types, tags, sensors, and issues.
Though you possibly can preview your watch face design and plenty of of its options on the emulator included in WFS, some visuals and conduct may be completely different on a bodily system. To make sure your watch face capabilities appropriately on all the most recent Galaxy Watches, Remote Test Lab (RTL) lets you take a look at your purposes on precise Samsung Galaxy units with out having bodily entry to them.
Benefits of testing your watch face in RTL embody comfort and value financial savings from gaining access to a variety of Galaxy Watches with out having to personal them your self, and the flexibility to check options that aren’t supported by the WFS emulator, corresponding to watch face issues and launching purposes from them.
This text makes use of a pattern watch face with some easy issues to show how one can make use of RTL to check a watch face created in WFS. The fundamental steps are to order and connect with an RTL system, hyperlink it to your laptop by way of Distant Debug Bridge (RDB), after which deploy the watch face to the system from inside WFS.
Reserve a Galaxy Watch on Distant Check Lab
As a result of RTL is a digital credit-based time-limited service, to take full benefit of your credit and allotted time, be certain that your undertaking is able to take a look at earlier than connecting to RTL.
To order and connect with a distant system on RTL:
- Check in to the Samsung Developers website.
- Within the “Help” menu, choose “Distant Check Lab.”
- To view the system checklist, click on “Get Began.”
The system checklist reveals all of the out there units on RTL. To checklist the smartwatches solely, choose “Galaxy Watch” from the aspect menu.
Determine 2: Accessible watches on RTL
- Choose the system you need to take a look at the watch face on.
Choose the bodily location of the system you need to use and outline the length you need to reserve it for.
Determine 3: RTL system location and length choice
Be awareReserving RTL units consumes digital credit. The fee is determined by the length of your reservation. The variety of credit out there in your Samsung account is proven on the prime proper of the display screen. To earn 10 credit as soon as per day, click on the “My Credit” textual content.
- When you’re prepared, click on “Begin.” The system launches in a brand new window.
Join the pc to the distant system
Use the Distant Debug Bridge (RDB) instrument to attach the RTL distant system to your laptop:
- From the sidebar of the RTL system window, choose “Distant Debug Bridge” and click on “Join.”
Click on “Obtain” to obtain the RDB instrument and “OK” to shut the dialog.
Determine 4: RDB obtain in RTL
Extract the content material of the downloaded file to a folder. Run the “rdb.exe” software. A terminal window opens and listens for the RDB connection from the RTL server.
Determine 5: Launching RDB
Return to the RTL window, choose “Distant Debug Bridge,” and click on “Join” once more. A connection is established between your laptop and the RTL system.
Determine 6: ADB linked to distant system by way of RDB
The distant system is now linked to your laptop. It responds to Android Debug Bridge (ADB) instructions, corresponding to “adb units,” in the identical method as should you had linked to a bodily system in your possession.
For extra info on connecting your laptop to units on RTL, see Connect to Devices on Remote Test Lab Using RDB in Android Studio.
To make sure ADB instructions work appropriately, you need to have ADB already put in and added to your path surroundings variable. ADB is included together with your WFS set up.
So as to add ADB to the “Path” surroundings variable on a Home windows laptop:
- Navigate to “Begin > Management Panel > System and Safety > System > Superior System Settings > Atmosphere Variables.”
- Within the “Consumer variables” part, choose “Path” and click on “Edit.”
- So as to add a brand new entry to the checklist, choose “New.”
- Enter the trail to the “toolswindow” subfolder of your WFS set up folder, for instance, “C:Program FilesWatchFaceStudiotoolswindow.”
- Click on “OK” and shut the dialog.
- Relaunch your terminal window.
So as to add ADB to the “Path” surroundings variable on a macOS laptop:
- Open a terminal window.
- Enter the next command: “export PATH=$PATH:/Purposes/WatchFaceStudio.app/Contents/instruments/mac.” In case your set up of WFS has a special location or software title, modify the command accordingly.
- Relaunch your terminal window.
Deploy the watch face
To deploy a watch face from WFS to the RTL system:
- In WFS, open the watch face undertaking.
Click on “Run on System” on the prime proper of the display screen. The “Linked Gadgets” window seems, itemizing the out there units.
Determine 7: Distant system in “Linked Gadgets” checklist
- To deploy the watch face to the distant system, choose the system from the checklist.
Deployment is full when the “Launch Full” dialog seems in WFS. Your watch face is launched on the distant system.
If the watch face doesn’t launch on the distant system robotically, choose it on the watch:
- To open the watch face menu, press and maintain on the watch face house display screen.
- Swipe proper till you attain the “Add Watch Face” display screen or a “+” button.
- Faucet the “+” button.
- To search out the watch face that you just deployed, scroll to the top of the watch face checklist.
- To pick out the watch face, faucet the picture of the watch face or the “Obtain” button.
Check the watch face
Now you’re prepared to check the watch face on the RTL system. The next steps show testing watch face issues.
So as to add a complication to the watch face:
- To open the watch face menu, press and maintain on the watch face.
- Choose “Customise.” The “Kinds” display screen opens.
- Scroll to the “Issues” display screen, which reveals the out there complication slots on the watch face.
Choose a complication slot and make sure permitting the watch face to entry watch knowledge.
Determine 10: Customizing issues
Choose the complication you need to add to the watch face. Within the following determine, the “Probability of Rain” and “Battery” issues have been added.
Determine 11: Customized complication on watch faces
Check the watch face in the identical method as on an actual system. For instance, tapping a complication launches the suitable software. When the battery widget is tapped, the Battery software launches on the watch. The WFS emulator doesn’t help this characteristic, displaying solely that the “‘Complication Slot’ is opened.”
As a result of the RTL system is an actual system, you possibly can observe the precise watch face conduct in actual time.
Determine 12: Customized issues on WFS emulator and on RTL system
- When testing is full, disconnect RDB by choosing “Disconnect” from the “Distant Debug Bridge” menu and shut the RTL window to finish the RTL session.
To comprehensively take a look at your watch face, you possibly can simply join your laptop to Distant Check Lab units and deploy the watch face to it by way of Watch Face Studio. RTL permits you to take a look at on a variety of Samsung Galaxy Watches with out having bodily entry to them. As a result of the RTL units are actual units, you may as well take a look at watch face options that aren’t supported by the emulator.
When you have questions or need assistance with the steps introduced on this article, you possibly can share your queries on the Samsung Developers Forum. You can too contact us immediately for extra specialised help by way of the Samsung Developer Support Portal.
To be taught extra about Watch Face Studio, watch face issues, and Distant Check Lab, try the next hyperlinks: